ENGINE RUNS HOT AND AC QUITS BLOWING COOL

2004 Dodge Dakota

Engine Cooling problem
2004 Dodge Dakota 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 68959 miles

I have 2004 Dodge Dakota. When I am at stop lights or stuck in traffic, the temperature gage rises quickly toward hot and a couple times the check engine light has come on. When this is happening the ac starts to blow hot air as well. When I am able to go again and get to a cruising speed, the temperature gage lowers and the ac starts to blow again. I thought maybe the coolant needed to be changed and had the coolant changed when I had my oil changed about a month ago, but the problem still continues. Any advice?
Mtm415

Check your engine cooling fan, with a/c on it should run all the time and as the coolant temp rises, it should run even faster. Check the fan relays in the power distribution center near the battery. And the cooling fan motor. Run a fused protected wire from the pos battery post to the fan motor, and one from the neg, see if it runs, if it does the relay or engine coolant temp sensor is bad, if it doesnt run, replace the fan.

Merlin2021