4WD WON'T DISENGAGE -

2001 Dodge Dakota

Other Category problem
2001 Dodge Dakota V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 76,000 miles

I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota quad cab. I put it in 4wd during the storm the other day and it won't disengage. When you turn the switch to engage 2wd the 2wd indicator light just blinks and you don't hear anything happening. There aren't any check 4wd idiot lights lit on the instrument cluster either? I checked the fuses and they look good. Where should I look next? I tried it in park - neutral - drive and at speed (5mph). It just seems like nothing is happening?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks for a great website!
Medburd

I have a 2004 dakota quad cab and i'm having the same problem as you did you get a response back yet if you did please give me an e-mail @ ff30smokey1@aol. Com and let me know what they said. I think that i'm having a problem with one of the sensors. Thanks steve

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks for a great website![/Quote]

Colonel518
[/quote]

Steve,

I ended up giving it to the dealership to fix. Luckily the only issue was the actuator arm was a little frozen. Weather it was debris or a lack of lubrication, all they did was manually free it up and lube it a bit. All is well now. Cost me $70 of labor including the test drive. I hope yours is as simple.

-Kyle

Medburd
[/quote: 3a411ecf0c]

Steve,

-Kyle[/quote]

Kyle,

Thanks for the info I will look at it tomorrow and see if that could be the problem. I did nt even think to look at that. Thanks again.

Steve

Colonel518