TYPE OF REAR MAIN SEAL

1998 Dodge Dakota

1998 Dodge Dakota 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150435 miles

My 98 Dakota has a rear main seal leak as well as one at the front seal, the mechanic I take the truck to says that the rear main will not be hard to change if it is a two piece seal. Can you tell me whether or not the seal on this particular year and model would be a two piece? Also I was told that since I run synthetic motor oil in the truck that it is not helping with the leak since the additives in the synthetic look for the smallest hole to push its way out. I was told that switching over to a regular non synthetic motor oil may help eliminate the problem temporarily since it is not a major leak. Can you confirm this. Thanks.
Bigcountry81000

Both the V8 and the V6 is a 2 piece seal. However, I would recommend replacing both.

As far as the oil, in a car, you can't run anything better than synthetic. It doesn't break down and it doesn't cause leaks. Any oil would be leaking. I will tell you this. If the leak isn't bad, they make products that you add to the motor oil that may take care of the problem. Go to a parts store and ask if they have anything specifically made to help with a rear main oil leak.

Remember this. The reason he is telling you that is will be more expensive to replace it if it is on piece is because the trans will need removed. A two part seal can be done with little additional work if he has the right tools. Therefore, don't let him charge you a ton more money. Hell, I can give you the directions for doing it. It is a big job, but if you have some mechanical ablity, and tools, you should be able to handle it.

Let me know if you have other questions.