DROPPED DRIVESHAFT AND SPEEDO QUIT WORKIN

1998 Dodge Dakota

Tires and Wheels problem
1998 Dodge Dakota V8 Four Wheel Drive Manual 154000 miles

i lost the rear driveshaft on my truck replaced the u joint and the speedometer wont climb past 10 mph at about 65 mph any clues im lost on this 1
Whollysheet

You lost your driveshaft, installed the same driveshaft, with new u-joint, and now bad speedo. The speedometer uses the vehicle speed sensor signal as recieved by way of a few computers. 2 or 4 wheel drive. The yoke attaches to the shaft that drives it. See that the seal is not leaking also(ext. Housing on transfer case). Its the last sensor on the trans harness. It can cause stalling at any speeds also. If it was damaged or quit it may need to be replaced. Follow the path from the driveshaft you installed and move toward the front. Its the first one you come to. It has a plastic gear, Any help, just ask. A scanner will or will not show as a fault code.
!0mm screw. After you remove it, the gear has a number on its face, that is needed for repladement part.

Ch112063
Its just my speedo not working the odometer and trip meter work fine the speedo will move up to 10mph if I go over 55mph I did put 20 inch rims on but that was weeks ago and speedo was off just a little I bought a superchips computer to cahnge tire size in the computer but havent used it yet! I did change the upstream O2 sensor too! Same time I did driveshaft! It has me stumped

Whollysheet
In changing the o2, the fuse is located in the power center, check that fuse, also a bulletin about weird electrical problems exists, two grounds are to be cleaned and tightened(both sides of dash, right and left. The speedo driver is in the cluster, and gets its speed signal from the powertrain control mudule. Sometimes, any fuse out, mixes the PCM into a false reading internally, if you scan the whole PCM it will show speed info. On the scanner, and also all the communication modules wiring. And even in 98, quite a few. How is your speed control operating?
Check the fuses(both locations, interior and power center), grounds, and scan the speed externally. Funny though, because you have just been into the vehicle speed information source harness.

Ch112063
All fuses good speed control no problems works great everything but the mph working right! The mph will move to 15mph at around 65 it has me stumped will trace wires tomorrow to see if I pulled something lose and going to check behind the dash for the grounds

Whollysheet
I am glad. You will find out what is wrong. I'm sure it is not just a bad speed sensor. Especially if the speed control is ok, your braking system is ok(ABS or RWAL) and you have tested the fuses in both fuse areas. The grounds you will check and the wiring you will check may repair or eliminate anything except your speedometer. If you need any information, just ask, someone will always be around to help, thanks to 2carpros. Com OK In a Dodge shop, the speedometer is checked, and grounds and wiring with another very expensive if, then program called a DRBIII. Good luck, and thanks for letting me know. Bye

Ch112063