I HAVE TROUBLE CODES 12,42,33,55

1992 Dodge Dakota

1992 Dodge Dakota 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

33 A/C clutch relay circuit

42 Fuel pump relay control ckt, Auto shutdown relay control ckt, No ASD relay output voltage at PCM, Fuel level sending unit volts out of range, Fuel level unit No change over miles

The truck ran a few days ago but it was hard to start. Now it wont start. I dont hear the fuel pump pushing gas. I was suggested to checking, and replacing, the Automatic Shut Down (ASD) Relay. This is what sends power to the fuel pump and it is not uncommon for it to go bad. It is a lot cheaper and easier to replace the ASD relay than the fuel pump. I was told to the the splicing of these wires under the relay box get corroded and needs to be re soldered together. What else can I check. I was switch relays around I think thats why I got code 33. I'm going to take my relays to be tested then move from there.I have no fuel pressure.
Greenchevymalibu

Hi, thanks for the donation. Check the fuse in the diagram, fuse # 16 I believe, use a testlite, see if fuse circuit is hot.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_fuse_1.jpg

Number 16 fuse is good.

Greenchevymalibu
Dark blue wire with white tracer is voltage for coil side of relay. Red wire with white tracer is voltage for switch side of relay. Check circuits for voltage.

I dropped my fuel tank and tested the fuel pump and it does not work.I jumped the leads to my battery and it does engage. So I think that my pump is bad. I reset the battery to clear the codes. I didn't have the codes until I started messing with the relays.

Greenchevymalibu
Good job, sounds like your headed in the right direction.

I changed out old fuel pump and installed a new one. I dont have the funds to buy a complete fuel assembly so I went to the dodge dealership and talked to some of the mechanics to see if a fuel pump from a 88 dakota 3.9 would work for the 92 dakota 3.9 since I only needed the pump not the whole assembly. The mechanic said that it should be fine other then mounting the pump in the assembly. So I installed it last night and it started up. So I see if I have any problems with the 88 Dakota fuel pump.

Greenchevymalibu
New problem. The truck drove fine for a while. I drove it around my house then to the gas station 5 or 6 miles away. When I got to the station the truck stalled. It started back up fine but when you take it out of park it dies. You can rev the engine fine in park but when you put in any gears other then park or neutral it dies.

Greenchevymalibu
I thought you had it fixed? In park or neutral, not much load on the engine, there is in drive. Maybe sytem running lean, maybe Idle-air problem?

Thats what I think too. I just took it out to clean if I can

Greenchevymalibu
I cleaned it with no luck but I think its bad. I revved up the truck and put it in drive and it took off but died maybe a minute later.

Greenchevymalibu