NOT CHARGING PLUS SHORT SORT OF FOUND

1991 Dodge Dakota

1991 Dodge Dakota 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 221000 miles

Installed new alternator apparently hastily but hey lesson learned. Vehicle is still not charging battery Voltage reads 12.18 drops to 12.08 when accelerating the recovers to 12.18.

So I now begin to test for a short in system

Voltmeter between ground cable and battery ground reading 11.3v slow to climb and fall.
Remove alt connections to alternator voltage still there. Started removing fuses to find circuit, found one in powerblock (eng compartment). Large 15A lost cover so positive ID not possible. Though with key on it spurts the Injectors briefly and adjusts the (idle control?) When reconnecting.

thank you!
Lupuseven

When you pull the fuse, does the draw on the battery stop? Also, have you checked fuseable links?

When I pull the fuse the draw drops slowly but at a consistent rate.
I am having difficulty locating and identifying the fusable links. I know, or at least I think I know, what they are supposed o look like but. There is supposed to be one near the starter, I just don't see it. The others see mto be eluding me. I am going to take a closer look tonight and take my time doing so.

Lupuseven
What circuit stops the draw?

There lies another problem the cover is missing. Its a 20A fuse the large cube type. Its a red w/ white tracer, I followed to the computer disconnected it there still draws. Followed it to ignition switch disconnected still a draw. Followed it to head light switch and ran out of time to disassemble it to disconnect it.

All though following the scematic from the haynes manual there is only one red wire on the connector to the comp. Tracing it through the three pages of scematics it appears that it is supposed to have voltage at all times.

One additional question where is the voltage regulator? Is it internal to the alternator? OR is it the black molded unit attaching to it. (TBI, 90A) This whole chase started with trying to solve the not charging w/ new alternator. Figure Ill attack it from both ends now.

Lupuseven
BTW

thank your for taking all this time with me and my problem! : )

Lupuseven
Hay, I'm glad to help. However, you may not like what I have to say. I believe in 1991, the voltage regulator is part of the computer. The computer itself may be the problem. Please confirm that with your parts store. The last one I worked on was a 90 and when the alt went bad, it took out the computer too.

Let me know.

Update: I looked on AZ website and found this as the location: Under hood, center, rear engine area, mounted on upper firewall. You will need to confirm that.

Well I have posed this question all over the web, and it is strongly apparent that the voltage regulator is part of the computer the earliest I saw was 1988. I will be hitting the parts houses to see if there is an aftermarket voltage regulator before I hit the salvage yard tomorrow.

Lupuseven
I had a feeling that was the case. It won't be an aftermarket part. You will need to get it from a salvage yard or dealer. If you get one from a salvage yard, make sure they understand there is the chance it may be bad (the same way yours is) and if it doesn't work, you want to be able to return it.

The reason I say this is becaue they usually won't accept electrical component returns.

Let me know if this fixes the problem.