FAILS TO START

Dodge Caravan

I have a 1998 Dodge caravan 3.3L automatic with 130,000 + miles with no big issues the drivers side power lock doesn’t always lock at 15 mph and the intermittent windshield function is intermittent.

June 2007- Replaced leaking Power steering pump
September 10, 2007- Van failed to start lights, alarm, power windows, dashboard lights and horn all worked no sound was heard while turning key in ignition.
Towed to shop where the diagnosis was the starter that was replaced.
September 26, 2007- Van failed to start lights, alarm, power windows, dashboard lights and horn all worked no sound was heard while turning key in ignition.
Towed to shop where the diagnosis was corroded positive battery cable.
September 26, 2007- One hour later same symptoms occurred van failed to start lights, alarm, power windows, dashboard lights and horn all worked no sound was heard while turning key in ignition but after a few tries van started, the shop was closed for the day at this point.
Can anyone shed some light on where to look next to solve this problem?
Leacoda

UNDER THE HOOD

IN THE FUSE BOX BESIDE THE BATTERY IF YOU

LOOK IN IT YOU WILL SEE BLACK RELAYS

ONE OF THEM IS FOR THE STARTER
REPLACE IT

GOOD LUCK
LET US KNOW

BMRFIXIT
To find out which relay controls the starter consult your owners manual or visit this link http://www.2carpros.com/kpages/auto_repair_manuals.htm

2CarPros Ken
Check fuse no.23 40amp it has to go thru there before it hits the starter relay then to the S/Motor.

Could also be the ignition switch failing

This episode turned out to be very expensive, I would like to thank the people who responded with ideas on the fix for this issue. The last responder rasmataz was in the ballpark of the diagnosis.
I at one point swapped keys thinking it was an ignition switch problem and was ready to have the switch replaced when one day the van refused to start after jiggling the key in the switch, pounding on the steering wheel, moving the shifter up and down and shaking the battery cables for an hour.
One thing that I always noticed was that each time the two truck unloaded the van it would start properly.
I had the van towed to the dealer the dealer kept it for a week so I rented a car they diagnosed it as the aftermarket alarm system which has been in the car for nine years so it was removed, by that weekend I had the same problem again so it was towed back and I rented a car for another week.
The final theoretical diagnosis was that the aftermarket alarm had damaged the primary control module (PCM) the main computer. The theory was that the power wires from the alarm system that are crimped onto the power wire harness had vibrated loose causing arcing in the circuit to the computer therefore damaging the module.
The total cost of the PCM, towing, starter and car rental was approximately $2000, the van seems to be fixed with no problems for the last three weeks.

Leacoda