99

1999 Dodge Caravan

I own a 99 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport model with power everything, mileage 99500. Two months ago the battery light came on and the transmission jumped to low gear while driving at highway speed. I limped the vehicle to the shoulder and shut it down. When I tried to restart the van, the battery was dead. Took the van to a trusted transmission guy and he told me the problem was electrical, that when the alternator is shot it can cause this problem. Fine, I tested and replaced both the battery and alternator and everything was fine. Three days ago the battery light came on again. This time the car ran fine and when I shut it off and restarted it the battery light was off. Now the light comes on within a few minutes of driving. Any help would be graetly appreciated.
Robert hudson

You did not say how long ago this happened or if the altenator was new or a rebuild. How old is the battery and why did you take it to a trans shop? Does the van run ok with the light on, if so maybe the codes need to be cleared. You have a lot of miles on the van, could be a bad ground. Hell my 99 van only has 37000 on it and it's something new about every four months. Chrysler products are JUNK!

Vandragon
The Battery and altenator are both new. I took it to the trans shop because the trans dropped to neutral at hwy speed. Once the van slowed down I had 1st gear and could pull it over. The battery and alt were tested and the battery was bad. After I put the new battry in, the same thing kept happeneing and I retested the alt ant it was bad. The old battery and alt were only three years old at the time. Now it has been 2-3 months since I replaced the battery and alt and the batt light is comimg on again like it did 2-3 months ago.

Robert hudson