WATER PUMP

2006 Dodge Caravan

Engine Cooling problem
2006 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 62000 miles

I removed the old pump, but I had to pry the engine over to get it out. In doing so I broke the plastic impellor. I was wondering if there was something I did wrong or is it just a tight fit? I don't want to break the new one when I put it in.
Kmohr

There a very tight fit. Which engine? Which year? I used to have to take things apart but it depends on the size of your engine exactly how its done. Is your car a 2000 or 2006?

Ch112063
The Van is a 2006 with a 3.8 engine. Appreciate the help!

Kmohr
The pump pulley must come off by taking off the pulley from the drive sprocket of the water pump, then you have access to the water pump then those come off by turning the loosened pulley to access these hold down bolts. Its a tight fit. The belts and plastic splash guard come off first. I don't think your doing it wrong, it is a pain to get a larger hand in there. It takes all kinds of wrench or socket turning. Sorry your having trouble, I wish I could go there and do it for you. OK the pulley is removed to access the pump bolts. It goes on last.
Be careful, ok. It was a hoist job so try to get it done slow and don't let it get you too aggravated. Its more important to get another ride, and do it a little each day. I know its hard but I'll be contemplating and hoping you get it, if that helps. I'm glad to help you. Ok

Ch112063
I just thought maybe there was an easier way that I was missing. I'll get it in tonight, thanks for the help.

Kmohr
Its enough to give you fits. You can have a nervous breakdown doing these types of cars all day. Now at least you have the experience. And experience is priceless.

Ch112063
Just replaced my 06 caravan water pump (3.3L). I found that if you put a jack under the front of engine and jack it up a LITTLE (not too much), take out the three front (on right side of vehicle) engine mount bolts, lower the engine and the water pump will go right into the engine. After it is in, jack up the engine and replace the three engine mount bolts (torque them), then lower the jack and finish the install of the water pump. Much easier than fighting it into the hole and possibly breaking the new water pump.

Derryfarm