NO CODES AND POOR ENGINE PERFORMANCE

2005 Dodge Caravan

2005 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 70000 miles

Ok here is the issue. My van is getting very poor gas mileage. It is around 12-11 mpg. When I accelerate the engine start out just it is only when I get to 4000 rpm in 1st. That the engine starts pinging as if it has hit the revlimiter and backing down and will not shift into first and it does this in every gear. I did have a code for the egr valve which I replaced. It did take me several months to replace due to monitary issues. I also performed a tune up and gapped the plugs at about.053. At 1 point I got an engine light for engine misfire with no specific cylinder. Now the engine runs great at idle and starts great even at very low temps. It seems as if the timing does not want to adjust at higher rpms. PLease Help my wife is getting on my case that I can't get the car fixed. I am a mechanic. I work on diesel truck so you can get technical with me and I will understand. Thanks
Msmyjeep

Hi

Timing is not adjustable

if its getting to 4000 before its to shift to 2nd
I would say its a tranny issue and not an engine
if you can get your hand on a scanner to check for codes in the TCM (tranny control module )

for what you described happening usually get a check engine light with codes like in the P0700 and up
and the most common would be speeds sensors ( have two input and output sensor )
and or the tranny solenoid pack

TCM failure is a very common issue too

BMRFIXIT