FUEL OVERFLOWING OUT

2004 Dodge Caravan

2004 Dodge Caravan

I have a 2004 dodge grand caravan. I keep getting a back pressure overflow when putting in gas. I can run a line all the way down the neck so I know thats not clogged. I had some sputtering when started a few weeks ago and then all of a sudden the problem stopped and was able to fill tank with no problems. Now today it sputtered again when starting and I could only get 1.5 gallons in without it spitting out.
Sjjansen

Hi: Interesting problem. There are a couple things I will explain to you to check. First, there is a ball type valve in the filler that is there to prevent fuel from running out in the event of a roll over. It's unusuall for there to be a sticking problem, but it does happen preventing fuel to enter the tank.

Second, and even more unusual, there is a vent on the tank that permits air to enter the fuel tank as it empties. If it is faulty, it's hard for the pump to get gas to the engine. Now that could cause you studering problem, but not the fill problem unless it has caused the rubber section of the filler to collapse. When this happens, check under the van where the filler neck is located. You will see a steel down pipe going to a rubber hose then to the tank. Make sure the rubber hose isn't collapsed.

Let me know if this helps.

No that big rubber neck is fine as I replaced as I thought that was the original problem a few weeks ago when it started. I dont know what ball type filler there is as I can shove a 1/4 hose all the way into the tank. The check engine light came on 25 Dec when I started it up (that was the initial studdering) on the way home from church is when I got fuel and it let me fill with no problems. Now the same spudder this morning and again cant put fuel in without it taking me very slowly 10+min. When I do put it in real fast its like a vacumn and it shoots back out with pressure. My brother in law looked the code up and its a air leak code

Sjjansen
Is it an EVAP code?

Yes, large or small leak dont remember

Sjjansen
Hi: There is a leak somewhere in the evap system. It could be as simple as a fuel cap or you could look for days trying to find it. They can really be a pain. Check the fuel filler steel down tube for rust problems. If no luck, take it to a shop and have the the system fogged. The fog will leak from the problem area so you can find it. Otherwise, you could be looking for some time. It could even be above the fuel tank which requires you to remove the tank to check.

If it isn't something obvesious, the fog will be the best money you ever spent.

Thanks, I got the part about the fog test but still how would that cause back pressure causing the tank to shoot gas back out?

Sjjansen