ZERO COMPRESSION

2003 Dodge Caravan

Engine problem
2003 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 66456 miles

Check engine light came up and I had the plugs changed and the light still remains on, the repair shop says there is zero compression on cylinder #2, What could be the problem? What should be checked and changed? Can I still drive the van? How long can I drive it for?
Deboadewusi

Hi there,

You will have to do a wet and dry compression test.

Do the dry stet first, plugs out, full throttle and do the comp test note readings. Then squirt a little engine oil into No 1 cyl enough to coat the rings, then check compression, if compression comes up considerably the rings are worn (the oil will temperley seal the rings) if same or little difference valve problems are indicated or a badly burnt piston land. Do this for each cylinder, if as you say there is no compression, the car will idle very roughly and power will be down. You should not drive in this condition, get it checked and get it fixed ASAP.

Mhpautos