POSSIBLE TIMING BELT

2002 Dodge Caravan

2002 Dodge Caravan 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

My wife was driving the van at aroun 70mph and the engine just died. The starter still turns over but you don't really hear the compression so I assume it's a trown timing belt. Is the 4 cylinder a interference engine? If not what should I expect for a repair bill?
Lscapa

First, check engine compression to see if there is a problem with the timing belt. I don't believe it is an interfearance engine. IF it's only the belt, I would estimate around 400.00 for the repair (based on where you live, that could change)

Checked compression yesterday evening and sure enough. No compression. Should I also go ahead and get the water pump replaced since I'll be that far into it?

Lscapa
Is the compression actually 0 PSI? Also, with 150K on it, I would replace the pump when you are to that point.

I didn't have a gauge available but didn't actually feel any compression with my thumb over the #4 spark plug port.

Lscapa
That isn't good. Let me know what you find.