HEATER NOT WORKING

2000 Dodge Caravan

Heater problem
2000 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 200000 miles

I have 2000 dodge grand caravan. The heater doesn't blow hot air. The blower moter settings work fine. The control settings form floor to defrost work fine but when car is stopped the air will get warmer but when changing to the defrost setting the air becomes cold and when driving all settings become cold. The temp control on dash doesn't show any change in air temp. It sure would be nice to find the problem before it get to cold.I hope you can help me. Thanks
Shadroni

The best place for service would have a correct scan tool to read, control, and test the memory of the climate control system before trying to do anything about a repair procedure or price. You have high mileage and you may have a garage check the fuses but a proper technician at any Chrysler dealership will be able to repair it with the proper service procedures. You could bring it for a proper diagnosis and then shop around for someone who will fix it on a cheaper labor rate. Remember, you should pay for an estimate for repair, then ask if others agree also. A heater core is an expensive repair and should be replaced only when necessary. And I wish you luck.
Ok bye for now.

Ch112063
Check coolant level
Is the car reaching operating temp if not check thermostat and replace if needed
Check heater core hoses if both are hot,
if both hoses hot and not enough heat inside suspect blend door actuator
if not one hose hot and the other warm or cold the heater core need to be flushed
as a 1st step
these are the steps
WARNING: NEVER REMOVE THE PRESSURE RELIEF CAP UNDER ANY CONDITIONS WHILE THE ENGINE IS OPERATING. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS COULD RESULT IN DAMAGE TO THE COOLING SYSTEM OR ENGINE AND/OR PERSONAL INJURY. TO AVOID HAVING SCALDING HOT COOLANT OR STEAM BLOW OUT OF THE COOLING SYSTEM OR DEGAS BOTTLE, USE EXTREME CARE WHEN REMOVING THE PRESSURE RELIEF CAP FROM A HOT COOLING SYSTEM OR DEGAS BOTTLE. WAIT UNTIL THE ENGINE HAS COOLED, THEN WRAP A THICK CLOTH AROUND THE PRESSURE RELIEF CAP AND TURN IT SLOWLY UNTIL PRESSURE BEGINS TO RELEASE. STEP BACK WHILE THE PRESSURE IS RELEASED FROM THE COOLING SYSTEM. WHEN CERTAIN ALL PRESSURE HAS BEEN RELEASED, PRESS DOWN ON THE PRESSURE CAP (STILL WITH A CLOTH), TURN AND REMOVE PRESSURE RELIEF CAP.
Engine cool
lower the coolant level
Locate the two hoses running to the heater core
disconnect them at the engine side leaving hoses connected to heater core throw the firewall
use garden water hose and compressed air if possible
run the water and follow by air throw one side and out the other and vice versa
do that two to three times watching what leaving the heater core you are looking for the good flow and clear water to run throw
reconnect hoses
top off coolant system
good luck
let me know

BMRFIXIT
Ihad checked al the hoses they were hot but can't seem to find the blend door acctuator. Thancks for replying. I also recalibrated the hvac control moduale it seemed to go through all the setting fine.I slao have looked under the dash while it was opperating to see the movement but didn't see any when it changed to heat setting.

Shadroni

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic1_529.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic2_259.jpg

BMRFIXIT