TRANSMISSION SLIPS INTO NEUTRAL WHEN FIR

1998 Dodge Caravan

1998 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 154000 miles

During the cold weather months and when first started up only. I back the van out of the garage, down a sloping driveway into the street. I shift into Drive and it won't go into gear. When I try to go back to Reverse, it won't do that either. It is stuck in Neutral. I tried turning the engine off and back on to reset, but doesn't work. After 30 seconds of running, while left in Drive, it will go into gear by itself and I won't have any more trouble until the van sits cold for a long period again. When this happens, all the lights on the PRNDL display turn on so you can't tell what position the shifter is in and the Service Engine Soon light comes on. When the van goes into Drive again, the PRNDL display shows the correct position again and after a few miles the Service Engine Soon light turns off.

This happens almost every morning and after work during the really cold days of Winter.

I saw someone else post the same problem on Dec 1, 2009 named Noahsq.

What is causing this?
HARRISKN

Hi
Has fluid been changed? What is color of fluid? Usually when no engagement cold is caused by pressure loss via seals ie. Rubber seals leak cold till they swell up. Would be helpful if computer was checked for codes.
Let me know
Thanks for donate

Docfixit