WIRE HARNESS PROBLEM

1997 Dodge Caravan

1997 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 200300 miles

I had an electrical fire that damaged quite a few of the wires in my wiring harness. The car ran ok after the fire, but a lot of wires had the insulation burnt off exposing bare wire, and a number of the wires got melted together.

I have replaced most of the damaged wires by splicing in new wires, which I soldered and sealed with heat shrink.

However, I have run into a problem with four of the wires. I had four wires that appeared to be badly melted together with two of them having exposed wire a short distance from where they were all melted together. Unfortunately, I am partially colorblind and two other people who I had look at these four wires also could not see any color-coding difference between the four of them. Therefore, I could not safely just cut the bad sections out and splice in new wiring because I was not sure which wires matched up.

I carefully scraped the insulation from around the blob of melted together wires. In the center I found what appears to be a small rectangular block of solid metal. I expected to find four wires in the center with a bit of melted insulation between each wire. It appears that this group of four wires may have come this way from the factory.

Is this possible? Would there be some reason to have four wires in the wiring harness all come together in the middle of the run, and then separate back into four wires again? Any ideas on what I should do next?

I have attached a picture, which has some glare from the flash, and is not focused well on the solid block, but maybe it will help. I am no longer at the location where the car is parked so I cannot retake the picture until tomorrow.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/496382_wire_harness_1_1.jpg

Dancer101