WHAT COULD IT BE?

1997 Dodge Caravan

Noises problem
1997 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

My van ran fine until one morning when I was on my way home from work. It sounded like metal clanking under the front end, then it wouldn't move. The engine was still running but the van would not go forward. Now that it is sitting, If I start it up and move through the gears, its fine until I put it in reverse. When I put it in reverse it makes the most god awful noise ever. It sounds like an awful grinding noise. Any ideas on what this could be?
Alea0230

Are there any leaks? Will the vehicle move in drive?

Based on your description, it sounds like the differential or planetary gears have come apart.

Thanks. I had it taken to a transmission shop and it was the differential and the case was cracked. It is being taken care of.

Alea0230
I had a feeling. Usually there is a leak when that happens. That is why I asked. Most likely one of the pins from the spider gears came apart.