ENGINE CUTS OUT

1997 Dodge Caravan

1997 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 83000 miles

I have a 97 Dodge Caravan, 83,000 miles, that had an engine tune-up and transmission rebuilt within the last year and a half. 3 months ago, the car started stalling every once in awhile, sometimes while stopped and sometimes while driving at low speeds, and the engine cut out once in awhile. The problems have gotten progressively worse. Now, the engine has a really hard time staying in gear, especially on the highway and the vehicle stalls all the time. Today, the " Service Engine Soon" light came on. The engine always urns when starting the car up or immediately after it stalls, but I have to press the accelerator for a minute or two in order to get it to start running. It seems like the car has a hard time staying running and staying in gear. Can you offer any advice?

thanks in advance!
MitchySKIS

The first thing I need you to do is have the computer scanned. If the check engine light is on, there is a trouble code stored in the computer that will help point us in the right direction.

Most parts stores will scan it for free, so have that done and let me know what you find.

I had the computer scanned and a lot of codes printed out. The " Service Engine Soon" light came on 2 days ago, although the car has been having this problem for months. The codes say: " Man. Absolute pressure/BARO or MAF(Mass Air Low) Sensor condition". The 2nd code says " Vacuum hose off, cracked or passage blocked-Engine mechanical timing condition". 3rd code " Throttle body intake tube loose, off, or cracked". 4th code " BARO (barometer)/MAP defective". 5th code " VAF (van Air flow) MAF (mass air flow) sensor dirty or defective". The man at the part store said that I would most likely need a new MAP Sensor and/or new Idle Air Control Valve.

What do you think?

MitchySKIS
The MAP sounds like it is one of the problems. As far as the MAF, I would clean it first. They make a special cleaner for it. The IAC can cause the engine to die, but usually causes an unstable idle.