, 170,000MI 3L

1996 Dodge Caravan

Hi,

I have the van mentioned above and it's having a problem with the A/C. Sometimes it cools just fine. Other times it blows hot air. It may do both in the same trip. Turning it on/off may or may not help. On occasion the belt will squeal, other times not. Sometimes when I turn the unit on I hear what sounds like fluid flowing, sort of a hissing sound, which lasts for a few seconds.

The van has an odd electrical fault that seems unconnected to this. At times the windshield wipers will start up on their own, wipe once or three times and then stop. It's most likely to happen when it's cold and humid. No other odd things happen.

I'm disabled, REALLY need these wheels and it's actually a very nice running vehicle. Except for the AC and wipers. Thanks for any help you can give.
USAPatriot

If the presures are good and the belt is ok, then it sounds like it could be a sticky expansion valve causing the problem for the a/c as long as the compressor is running when it isnt getting cold. Thw wipers and a/c go through the Body Control Module, so if the a/c comp isnt running sometimes and the wipers do their own thing on occasion, the BCM could be the culprit. Remove the plugs and be sure all connections are clean and tight. BCM is on junction block under left side of dash

Jack42