THROTTLE CABLE HEATING UP?

Dodge Avenger

I have a 1997 Dodge Avenger, 140,000 miles. Throttle cable started sticking, replaced it and it worked great for about a week. When I checked it, it was melted! Changed it again and after a quick test drive found it to be extremely hot. Any ideas what would cause this?
Josh

How close does it run to the exhaust manifold?

Losone
No, it's not near the manifold. That's the first thing I checked. It seems like it's an internal problem like maybe a ground? Is that possible?

Josh
It is a very rare occurance when a throttle cable heats to the pont of melting. Look under the dash to see if there are any wires touching the cable. Do the same the entire lenght of the cable. The cable internally is grounded at the throttle body and at the gas pedal

There is a remote possibility that you may be missing the ground beween the engine and fire wall and the cable is acting a ground conductor.

Check all grounds from the battery. Remove and clean the one to the engine, frame and insure you have one from the engine to the firewall. If so make sure it is clean on both ends.

Good luck

Losone
Hey, thanks. It did turn out to be a battery ground problem!

Josh
Thanks, thats wahat us old codgers are here for! I'm glad I could be of service losone

Losone