98 SHUTTING OFF WHILE DRIVING

1998 Dodge Avenger

1998 Dodge Avenger 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 172000 miles

My 98 Dodge Avenger has been randomly shutting off while driving down the road, not only is it very dangerous but it scares me. It doesn't do it all the time, it has done this twice to me, with about 500 miles in between. I haven't really driven the car since because I am scared it is going to happen again. When it happens, it just dies, the check engine and brake light come on and the power steering dies, it doesn't continue to coast it comes to a fast hault. I have done some research and found some possible answers including chrysler halls effect sensor, crankshaft position sensor, camshaft sensor, wire harness, EGR valve. Have you ever heard of this and what should I do? I don't have thousands of dollars to drop into this.
JessicaC

Well, this happens to a lot of vehicles, I suspect the crank position sensor, coil or a fuel pump or fuel pump relay. So a couple of tests are in need to determine which one.

Legitimate007
http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_test_an_ignition_system.htm

Legitimate007