DODGE AVENGER ENGINE PROBLEM

1997 Dodge Avenger

1997 Dodge Avenger 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

my dad gave me his old car but it wont seem to start. It has been sitting for awhile (years) so I changed the battery. What else can I do? Should I drain the old fuel? Is the engine even usable anymore? I would hate to have to get a new engine.
N8tive

Why has it been sitting so long? Was it running ok when it was parked? Try holding the gas pedal down about 1/4" while cranking it. If it starts but won't stay running, it's because the engine computer lost its memory when the battery went dead. You will need to relearn minimum throttle. To do that, drive it at highway speed, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the brake or gas pedals.

If it doesn't start, check for spark and fuel pressure. The fuel pump could be gummed up from sitting and needs a little coaxing to start running. No spark or fuel pressure can be related to the camshaft position sensor. Don't overlook the possibility of mice munching on the wires.