HEADLIGHT SWITCH

1989 Dodge Aries

1989 Dodge Aries 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a 89 Dodge Aries 4cyl. 2.5l, with a automatic transmission. My headlamps have been out for a while, and since it's getting warmer out, I decided that I was going to try and find out the problem. Note, that all my other lighting worked, tail lights, runner lights, turn signals, and dash lights. I took out the switch, to see what the problem was, well. It all looked normal to me, I put it back in, the headlamps work, but now all of the other lighting doesn't. I've been stuck with this phenomon for a while and it's really putting a strain on my mobility especially during dusk. If anyone's got any ideas, I'll be more than willing to try them out. Also, I just bought another switch, brand new, and it's still having the same problem.
Mikemusika

Pull the switch out and wiggle the connector while it's turned on. If various lights turn on and off, look closely at the terminals and the old switch. If any terminals or the rivets holding them onto the old switch assembly appear black, they overheated and likely overheated the connector too.

If overheating looks like it occurred, you'll need your new switch, but you will also have to cut the blackened terminals out of the plastic connector body and replace them. The best repair is to replace about 4" of the wire because it will be hard and impossible to solder to. Add 4" of new wire of the same diameter, solder the splice and cover it with heat shrink tubing, then solder on a new terminal. You can use crimp-type terminals, but also solder them for a reliable connection. Cut away enough of the plastic connector so you can plug in these terminals individually after the rest of the connector is plugged in.