DODGE ARIES WIRING PROBLEM

1985 Dodge Aries

1985 Dodge Aries 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 106000 miles

I have a 1985 Dodge Aries, 2.2L, carburated auto. It idles and excelerates very rough until the extra carb jet kicks in then it runs great. I have rebuilt the carb, plugs, plug wires, rotor and dist cap. Have checked all vaccum hoses and wiring. I unplugged the wiring harness from the carb and it made no difference. The timing line jumps around in accordance with the rough idle. I don't know enough about the electronic controlling of the fuel mix to make any guesses.
Scutterbotch1

Hi. Have you checked the underside of the large vacuum hose, it is under the base in front. It had an invisible cracking problem. Unhooking the wire connector does a couple of things. The feedback solenoid goes full rich, and closed loop operation is impossible, it is a gas mileage and plug, fouler. However if you ground the green wire, that drvis it lean. It is a good way for testing that solenoid, it handles main metering after hot, using the o2 sensor, Timing is set with hose disconnected from computer, idle switch grounded. It jumps around, normally. The only fuel related electronics are the o2 and feedback solenoid. I used to do em, at one time.
That was the start of elec. Fuel control. If you have a one-wire o2, it acts as a 0-1 volt battery. Check that hose, it went to the cannister. Maybe it has something to do with advance. Piece of work. Great fuel system, but nothing like injection.
I kinda liked them. Idle, off idle, main, closed loop main, power enrichment, choke float systems. No real power enrichment.
86 was injected, I drove a 2.2L Omni for years. Back and forth to work(Dodge).
Maybe a small spray of carb. Cleaner can smooth it out, or it will tell you if it is already too rich. It may have a leaking EGR valve.

Ch112063