MODELS CAR LOCKS IN N TRANSMISSION MODE

2000 Daihatsu Other

2000 Other Daihatsu Models Engine Size unknown Two Wheel Drive Automatic 40000 miles

my car was working completely normal, untill someday when I started the car I heard sound like the engine's but of higher pitch and it stays for five minutes then disappear.
i went to the mechanic, he told me : it is normal sound of car? I didn't argue with that son of.
1 month passed with sound still there then I travelled 300 km distance, next day sound dissappeared, I was happy but happiness quickly vanished when I discovered that the car can walk for a certain distance before it shifts to N mode(it doesnt really shift but when I press gas nothing happened as if in N mode), every time I had to reignite the car to walk for about 200 meters then it shifts down till n mode.
we went for a very good mechanic in daihatsu cars he disassembled the motor engine with the auto transmission fixed to it, opened the tansmission box and to found it in perfect state so he figured it is the torque converter, and we changed it.
the car worked well for 2 days, but problem happened again in milder modes, transmission too slowly sometimes didnt shift at all, so we changed the whole gearbox.
now the car works well but we never knew what caused the malfunction, I am preserving the whole gearbox till I see one of the best mechanics specialized in gearbox, he calls him self ahmed-matic.
Mustafa811