NO POWER FROM ENGINE WHEN AC IS ON

1997 Daewoo Lanos

Air Conditioning problem
1997 Daewoo Lanos 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual

Dear CarPros,
I have a 1998 Daewoo Lanos front wheel drive, manual transmission, 1.6L. I am having a problem with my AC, it runs perfectly it gets so cold in the cabin that sometimes I have to turn it off and open up the windows, but that is not my problem, my problem is whenever I do turn on the AC it sucks the power out of the engine so badly that for example it can barely go up a hill even in first gear. I would have the gas pedal floored and all I get is what seems like exhaust noise. People would be passing me by up on a hill. With the AC off I have no problem at all I get the full power from the engine, it will even burn rubber if I do shift from gear to gear up on a hill with the AC off. Not only hills are my problems, on a traffic light it will pull out slowly eventually picking up speed even if I give it more gas, but once I turn off the AC it will take off like a rocket. The car also used to shudder while in idle with the AC on, so I got it checked, I was told the coil was my problem, because cylinder #3 was not working, causing it not to have low power while the AC is on. So I changed it along with spark plug wires and spark plugs, the shuddering has stopped, performance has increased slighlty, but the lack of power while the AC in on is still there.

So please do help me, no one knows what seems to be the problem.

Thank You,
Malek
Myak

1. check fuel pressure
2. check timing
3. do a compression test
4. check AC high side pressure readings

Ask an automotive repair question!
http://www.2carpros.com/affiliate/uid/bmrfixit_1_tlid_1

BMRFIXIT