TORQUE CONVERTER

1996 Daewoo Espero

1996 Daewoo Espero 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 69000 miles

i have abysmal mpg (10mpg)engine appears sound(starts first time, revs well. I got the front wheels off the ground (front wheel drive ) and put the car in gear and revved the engine, the speedo registered 40 mph but the wheels hardly turned. Is this normal?
i concluded that the torque converter was not converting the engine speed to the wheels, is this correct? Also after replacing a dash bulb my speedo cable fell back down the cable and I couldnot retrieve it I reconnected the speedo any way but the speedo/odometer does not now work. Could it be anything else causing this and how do I retrieve my speedo connector from its cable (if this is what ihas caused this)needle nose pliers ware too big and the cable housing is too stiff to move. Would replacing the auto transmission fluid help the torque converter/ if this is indeed the problem. Thanx for yourhelp. This is a rhd model uk
Dumptruck1