CLUNKING SOUND COMING FROM UNDER DRIVERS FLOOR

2009 Honda Accord • 120,000 miles

Lately when I come to a stop or slow down and then accelerate I will feel and hear a single clunk or knock sound. The sound appears to be coming from under the drivers floor board and only seems to happen when I turn right, accelerate from a dead stop and a few times when I have reversed. I'm not sure what could be causing this and was hoping for a little insight. Thank you
Pumpkinhead76

Typically that type of noise is not a serious safety issue but to be safe the steering and suspension systems should be inspected at a tire and alignment shop. You may be feeling the clunking from a worn engine mount. Worn ball joints have the potential to separate and cause loss of control and a crash, but those, and struts, control arm bushings, and tie rod ends don't make just one clunk. They rattle continuously, especially over bumps in the road.

There is a tool you might be able to borrow or rent from an auto parts store that borrows them called the "Chassis Ear". It is a set of six microphones, a switch box, and headphones. You clip the microphones to suspect points, then drive around while listening with the headphones. You can move the microphones around to zero in on the source of the noise. Be aware that many mechanics have never seen or even heard of this tool. Suspension and alignment mechanics use it to find rattles, squeaks, and other noises.