CLUNKING NOISE AT FRONT OF VEHICLE WHEN SHIFTING FROM DRIVE/REVERSE

2003 Ford Explorer • 115,000 miles

I'm hearing a clunking sound after shifting from drive to reverse and or reverse to drive. The motor mounts are in good shape. The struts aren't leaking. The sway bar links and bushings are good. The brake calipers and brackets are tight. The upper and lower ball joints are in good shape. I had ujoints put in rear driveshaft. The front driveshaft isn't being used because the vehicle isn't being driven in 4X4. The front drive shaft isn't turning while in 2WD. This is normal isn't it so how can the noise be coming from the front driveshaft as stated by this local shop. Can the problem be the strut mounts on this vehicle? Everything is tight underneath the vehicle that I can see and feel. What on earth could be the problem? Can it be the front differential? There are no leaks. Or can it be the transfer case which isn't being used? I really don't know much about 4X4 vehicles and how they perform while in the AUTO 4X4. It isn't activated per my control lights. The only thing I have found is a loose left rear brake pad bracket which holds the pad to the caliper; The noise is coming from the front of the vehicle. Thanks for any assistance, appreciate it.
Erichill

A more likely suspect would be control arm bushings, but typically you'll also notice steering wander and / or clunking on bumpy roads.

There is a tool you might be able to borrow or rent from an auto parts store that borrows them called the "Chassis Ear". It is a set of six microphones, a switch box, and headphones. You clip the microphones to suspect points, then drive around while listening with the headphones. You can move the microphones around to zero in on the source of the noise. Be aware that many mechanics have never seen or even heard of this tool. Suspension and alignment mechanics use it to find rattles, squeaks, and other noises.