TRANSMISSION SLIPS

2003 Chrysler Town and Country

2003 Chrysler Town and Country 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 115000 miles

My car's transmission slips sometimes at speed around 7 to 15 miles/hour where I try to accelerate. I took it to the dealer, and they told me the torque converter, pump, solenoid are bad. I need to replace the transmission. I paid $100 for this, and I felt they cheated on me. The reason being that it's unlikely to have so many components to fail at a same time. I asked them what procedure they executed to find out about this, they didn't tell me. I have both the diagnostic and service manual which outlines step by step for diagnostics of this car (OEM books). I expect them to execute the steps to find out what is going on.
What should I do next? The diagnostic book requires the DRB III, which I don't have. The service manual's procedure appears to be simple, and only requires me to lift the front tires, and run the engine at certain speed, but I need some pressure meter to probe the oil pressure ports.
I am thinking of rebuilding the transmission myself. My experience with this include changing the oil on this transmission about 15K ago (ATF+4). I also took the valve body out before that to replace the park range sensor.
Philpham

Like you, I doubt that all the parts mentioned are bad. Rarely does the front pump go bad. Does the trans slip in any other gear or speed?

No it only slip in that range when accelerate. I put in half a quart, and it seems fine for 5 miles driving with many stops. I will test it for a couple more weeks.
With the service manual book, it doesn't seem to be too complicated about this. I have the oil pressure gauge already. I just need to run through the pressure test. It's a bit hard to find out the oil level because I have to check oil level when the engine is hot, and running. When it's running, oil splats on the stick, and it's hard to read.

I have a question though, in one of the test, it says that change the shift lever from OD to (3) position. Is it safe to do that while the car is running (not stop)?

With regard to the DTC above, the book says the cause mostly is electrical. I will check the connector. However, it didn't happen again. If it's PCM/TCM or the solenoid, the oil pressure test will indicate so.

Philpham
2004 town& country van well not bagg up checked fluid it's ok drive good and change gears good

Henderson6