CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

2001 Chrysler Town and Country

2001 Chrysler Town and Country 6 cyl Wheel Drive Type unknown Automatic 111000 miles

Last May, on a trip to Pennsylvania, the check engine light came on in my van. I pulled over immediately and thought through it. It wasn't hot, it had oil pressure, it was running smoothly, it had plenty of power, the idle was holding steady. I couldn't find anything wrong with it. I cautiously drove it to the nearest repair shop and had it checked over. They couldn't find anything wrong with it either. They pulled the codes and said it showed an evap code, I don't know the code number. They checked all the lines and pressure tested the gas cap, but couldn't find anything wrong. They reset the codes and sent me on my way. I drove it several days with no problems before the light came on again. It still ran fine and wasn't overheating, so I drove it home to Kentucky, nervously. At home I discovered my two regular mechanics had parted company and set up separate shops. Over the next few weeks I had both of them check it over and neither could find anything wrong. Since then, the alternator and heater fan motor have failed and been replaced. The codes have been retrieved and reset each time it was in the shop and each time the light eventually comes back on. Every time its an evap code, but three mechanics in two states have failed to find the problem. I'm always careful to make sure the gas cap is tight and not crossthreaded. Any ideas?

I forgot to mention, the van got hit in the back the week before this problem started. The liftgate, bumper and floor pan were all damaged. Could the body damage have caused the evap code?
Janedough