OIL AND ENGINE LIGHT

2000 Chrysler Town and Country

2000 Chrysler Town and Country 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

My wife call me at work last evening to report the there was a audible sound coming from the vehicle and that the oil light was on. The following morning I checked the oil and trans levels which turned out to be fine. Today, the same thing happened. This time the engine light came on. Please help!
Viper_X

Let's start by checking the engine light. Drive the vehicle to Autozone and have them scan the computer. Advise us with the code numbers.

Zackman
Ok, thanks. By the way, the vehicle is a 6 cylinder.

Viper_X
Yes. All Town and Country have 6 cylinders. We need to know either 3.3L or 3.8L, and the codes from the engine scan. Also, when you checked the oil and trans fluid, did you do it with the engine off or on?

With engine running at operating temperature, check to see if the oil light comes on and the noise present. Then, move the shifter through all gears slowly and back to PARK. Check your trans fluid. Turn the engine off, wait a couple of minutes. Now check your oil.

Zackman
I had taken the vehicle to a transmission specialist to diagnose the problem. Turns out gear 3rd was slipping. He recommeded that I have the transmission rebuilt which I did. I was also given a 12 month warranty and was told to bring the vehicle back in 3 to 4 weeks so that they can check for any leaks. Approx. 4 days later, my wife called me again telling me that the oil light and the audible sound had return and the the oil light seems to be flickering on and off. Eventually, everthing when back to normal moments later. It appears that this problem occurs when she drives long distance. After having the transmission rebuilt the vehicle is running better. Except for what I stated above. By the way, the engine is a 3.3L. Please help.

Viper_X
The very first thing to check when the oil light comes on is obviously your oil level. If your oil level is good, it is quite possible that your oil pressure switch has intermittent contact issue. It is located under the AC compressor, next to the oil filter.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_00tcoilsend_1.jpg

The symptom does appear more often during long trips. The noise that she hears is possibly for the oil light on, or something else sending bad signal to the Body Control Module. I don't recall my car "beeped" to me when the sending unit went bad. But if they came on and off together, I wouldn't worry about it. Just check the wiring, or quite possibly replace the sending unit.

Zackman
Thanks, Zackman. I will check those items and reply later. Again, thank you very much.

Viper_X
If it is the oil pressure switch, rockauto.com has it for $7. PS287T

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_ps287t_1.jpg

Make sure that you apply some Teflon tape on the thread before inserting it into the block (to prevent from leaking)

Zackman