STARTING PROBLEMS AND ELECTR

1997 Chrysler Town and Country

1997 Chrysler Town and Country 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

This all started a couple of years ago, and has gotten increasingly worse. First my cruise control quit. (Won't even turn on) Then the traction control quit, dash light is lit, but the button does nothing. Check engine light started coming on periodically; now it's always on. Last spring the starting problem began. I would drive somewhere, to work for instance, then when trying to restart the van after a while it starts, but turns off after a second or two. The gauges don't work (tac, temp, gas) but the rest of the dash stuff works, i.E. Radio lights, vent/heat, etc. I have to let it sit for a few hours before it'll restart. I've had the alternator check, as suggested by another T& C owner, but it's fine. Someone suggested it may be a short in the column?
Speedrolius

Hi: Based on your description, I tink you need to have the ignition switch checked. I have gone through a lot of similar problems with these vans and most of the time it's the switch.

Let me know what you find.

Ok, cool. I'll check that out today. A friend told me it may be the " ignition module", so I checked for that at the part store, and they said this van doesn't have an ignition module. It's all computers or something. But I didn't ask about the switch.

Thanks!

Speedrolius