POWER TRAILER BRAKES AND 7 PIN TRAILE

2005 Chrysler Sebring

2005 Chrysler Sebring 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 74000 miles

HELP.I have been very careful to install an electric brake system for my trailer and added a 7 pin trailer plug to my flat four pin. It was all finished and I turned everything on and the trailer brake was showing it was sending power when I pushed the brakes and the brake lights were on and I put the tester on the trailer plug and got three readings but on the third my tester stopped working and my break lights went out. I later found I now do not have door locks or radio either. I have blown the rear tail fuse located under the hood. But that seems to be all I can find that are blown.I have to wait until Monday to buy a new fuse but please any ideas where I start.
Help please
Jim
Wise_owl

I must first ask what is it that you are trying to tow with this car that would need trailer brakes? This car is not meant to tow that much weight. What is the GVW (gross vehicle weight) rating on this car and how much does this trailer weight? I would say you blew a fuse. Get back to me and we will take it from there.

Racefan966
Yes I did blow a fuse. My carelessness touched two circuits together. It is all fixed and running now. The 7 pin plug and the trailer brakes are done.
The trailer I have purchases is a 13 foot camper trailer. There is only one company that I'm aware of that makes these lightweight Boler style trailers that are under a thousand pounds. My car can pull this amount of weight. I had the brakes added to make it easier on my vehicle and for added safety.
Jim

Wise_owl
Well good glad to hear it is all working and yes your car should be fine towing that size trailer. Do keep in mind that you should change the transmission fluid and filter about every 12 thousand or once a year if you do a lot of towing so that the transmission will stay happy. Thanks.

Racefan966
I did have the transmission fluid and filter changed in preparation for this trip. I did not know to change it every 12 thousand miles. I will keep that in mind.
Thanks again.
Jim

Wise_owl
No problem if you don't tow much then every 24 thousand is good just depends on how much you tow and work that transmission. Thanks again and have a great day.

Racefan966