DEAD BATTERY

2004 Chrysler Sebring

2004 Chrysler Sebring 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 53000 miles

I started my car one night then the car stop suddenly and then wouldn't start. I jumped it off and got it home. The next morning I jumped it off then drove on the interstate 40 minutes to build up the battery. It didn't work though. While taking out the battery I noticed what appeared to be an electrical junction(don't know what it is or what to call it) connected to a metal brace dangling from the general area of the backside of the positive cable to or from the battery. The metal brace was molded so that it would slide onto a surface and it had a bolt hole. I noticed that there was a hole above that this brace might attach to.
Initially I thought I might have blown a fuse as the car stopped running suddenly and as I had never had any trouble starting the car. My question is " could this electircal junction have fallen, hit metal and shorted it or the battry out? It is the original battery and it might be prudent to replace it but I'm concerned that this " fallen electrical junction"
might be the source of the problem and my affect the new battery.
Jayforrest

Can you attach a picture so we know exactly what it is? Also is it the sedan, coupe or convertible. Engine compartment is " slightly" different.

Zackman