LOADED, BUT POS

2002 Chrysler Sebring

2002 Chrysler Sebring 80000 miles

I'm a average joI have a friend who's sister is selling her car. It has the bad 2.7L with a rod knocking, possibly. It is sitting in their yard. It has been for not quite a year. They say it has a rod knocking. My question is if it could be anything else? They know how to change brakes, and oil etc. They are not mechanics. I offered them $200. The body is in mint shape. Is it possible to get a new engine put in for under $1000. In MI the hourly rate is $60 for a shop to do work on cars.
I am working with $1100 for a vehicle right now. I am driving a 1995 Suzuki sidekick 4dr. It is in need of lots of small repairs: ball joints, shocks & struts, brake job, a/c charge, shakes over 50 mph, and small hole in muffler. Would I be better off driving this lil gal until she goes up. The body is ruff, but it is 4wd, does great in the winter, and runs smooth as a kitten.
Bay City MI Car Guy