CAMSHAFT WILL NOT ROTATE

1997 Chrysler Sebring

1997 Chrysler Sebring 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 97000 miles

I recently replaced my water pump in this car. When putting the vehicle back together I noticed that the vibration dampener (connected to the camshaft sprocket) would only rotate 1/4 of the way and then come to a dead-stop and make a clicking noise. Mechanics have told me to check the timing. I moved both crankshafts to TDC but could not move the camshaft because it still stopped and make a clicking noise. The camshaft will rotate 1/4 of the way. And back stopping in both directions. I took the water pump back off, timing belt tensioner off, idler and pullys back off, the reinstalled the tensioner but it still does the same thing. Could I have bent a valve possibly when taking the dampener off originally? THe other thing I could think of was could I have possibly damaged anything by supporting the engine from the bottom of the oil pan when removing the engine mount. Please help!
Johnnvysmc

Ok let try to understand here. You can move the two cams on the top of the engine but the crankshaft will not rotate? How did it run before you did all the work? Is there a dent in the oil pan? You may have damaged the main cap assembly. Get back to me with some answers and we will take it from there.

Racefan966
I was working on the water pump so I did support the engine from the bottom of the oil pan to take the engine mounting bracket off, it is possible the oil pan dented on the bottom. Would that cause it to not rotate. I took the engine head covers off and all valves seem to be opening and closing normally. The car ran normally before and I had no problems with performance. If I damaged the main cap assembly, would I need a new oil pan or oil pump? Thanks!

Johnnvysmc
If the oil pan is dented then you need to fix that first and see what that does. You need to look under the car and see if the pan is dented and if so then get one from a wrecking or salvage yard and a new oil pan gasket look over the lower end of the engine really good for any signs of anything else broke or include a pic so I can look and go from there. If there was no problems before and the oil pan is dented then I would have to say that is where you must look and start. Let me know what you find.

Racefan966