2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser

Engine problem
2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4 cyl Wheel Drive Type unknown Automatic 109000 miles

My car recently broke down, just quit running while going down the road. It would not restart, so I called a tow truck. After checking it out, the mechanic called to tell me that my timing belt had broke.
He said that it should have been replaced around 100K, but I just recently purchased this car from a used car dealer with 105K at that time.
He said that if it just needed a timing belt it would be around $300, but due to the type of engine, when the timing belt broke it most likely bent my valves, and in that case the repair bill would be around $1500. He said that he had repaired a lot of these timing belts and generally the valves would be damaged, but on a couple of instances they were ok, but he said he would call me in a couple of days, after he checked it out and let me know if it damaged my valves.
My question: Could my timing belt breakage have cause this type of damage? And if so, is this a normal cost for such a repair?
Also, can the car dealer be held responsible for not replacing this timing belt before he sold the vehicle to me, since the mileage was over the 100K when I purchased it?
Thank you very much for the info.