CLUTCH PROBLEMS

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 99500 miles

replaced clutch and shift cable last week. Car was fine for several days - although shifter was much stiffer than before. Yesterday heard some strange noises as I was shifting from 2 to 3. Metal noises like something hitting a fan. Could not get car into gear. Pulled over shut car off. Could now get car into gear. Started car and was able to shift through gears. Now however hear a squealing noise when I have clutch pedal pressed down. No noise when I leave clutch up. Sometimes does not want to go into first if car is running. Can shut car off and put into first.

Any ideas? Did new clutch fail or is it something to do with the master cylinder or slave? Check fluid level and it is fine.
Shingler63