CHRYSLER NEW YORKER GAS PROBLEM

1994 Chrysler New Yorker

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1994 Chrysler New Yorker 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

I have owned this vehicle for nearly two years now. Ever since first owning it, it would start up very easily in the mornings and would require pumping the gas later in the day. Recently it seems as if this problem has become increasingly worse. Now it is very unreliable as to whether or not it will start. It seems to still do better in the mornings and when the car has been cold, but it's when I run somewhere quickly that I seem to have troubles when I come back out to the car. The starter is cranking and will sometimes sound like it has picked up before dying. Sometimes it seems like won't start at all, but giving it half an hour or so seems to temporarily fix the problem as the car starts. Driving is also a problem. My car has stalled on more than one occasion, generally in situations when it would have been more likely for the car to not start at all (i.E. When the engine was warm). The idle has become increasingly rough and has trouble maintaining a steady idle as it keeps dropping. While driving, the acceleration is very slow, sometimes dangerously so. I feel like I'm flooring the pedal and still not getting anywhere. The gears aren't switching as quickly as they used to, allowing the rpm to really climb. The more gas I give it, the more steady the car is, but if I try to maintain a constant speed, the car sometimes shakes so violently that you can hear it banging. Also reverse is a real problem. Whenever I pull out, the ride is extremely violent when I don't give it any gas, similar to driving at a constant speed. It does much better however when I do give it a little juice, but of course it also results in me pulling out faster than I would like. Oh also, lately I've been noticing a fowl smell coming from the front of the car whenever I've been driving for a while or trying to quickly accelerate from a stop. I don't know if it is relative. I am pretty convinced that this is a fuel-related issue, but would appreciate any other ideas. The fuel filter has been replaced in about the last year and I'm leaning towards the fuel pump as the problem. Researching this issue online has developed a few other fuel related causes and so I'm wanting to narrow in down a bit. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Jeraldo