5TH AVE

1991 Chrysler New Yorker

The car has 61k miles original, it has the 3.8.V-6,
the trans is stuck in the " limp-home" mode, when I first start it and put it in Drive, it starts in " first gear"
then " jumps" shifts hard to third? And stays there. It only goes to first if I put it in Park and shut it off and re-start it. When it " jumps" out of first the dash makes a " beep". I have read about the trans. Being computer controlled or a bad fuse, is there a fix or code reset that might be inexpensive?
I appreciate your help.
Joe : roll:
Joebit

HEy Joe,

I know of no other way to retreive the codes from the computer other than with a scanner. Looking through the different codes, there are a wide variety of possibilities and all solutions whole or in part lead to a potential transaxle contoller. But need the codes.

[quote=" Service Writer" ]HEy Joe,

I know of no other way to retreive the codes from the computer other than with a scanner. Looking through the different codes, there are a wide variety of possibilities and all solutions whole or in part lead to a potential transaxle contoller. But need the codes.[/Quote

Hi Paul,
Thank you for your answer,
Here are the " check engine" lite codes,
1 - 2- 2 - 4 - 5 - 5
Does that help?

Joebit
Hey joe, 12=Battery or computer disconnected. 24=throttle position sensor over 4.96v. 55=end of codes. This car is designed in such a way that if sensors are bad it sends the car into limp mode which makes the car run rough and not shift into higher range, the theory is to protect the car if something major goes wrong. To diagnose codes or to learn how to retrieve them go to (http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes.html) Good Luck. The throttle sensor is a potentiometer attached to the throttle shaft. A voltage signal is supplied to the sensor, and a variable voltage is returned. the voltage increases as the throttle is opened. The signal and the map output determines how much air goes into the engine) so the computer can respond quickley to changes, increasing or decreasing the fuel rate as necessary.

Flyfisher1234