OVERHEATING

2001 Chrysler Neon

Engine Cooling problem
2001 Chrysler Neon 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 124000 miles

Hi. I have a 2001 chrysler neon that began to overheat. It actually overheated in a shop that I brought it to the following day I noticed it becoming dangerously high on the temp gauge. Before it heated in the shop it was inspected and tested. I was told that they couldn't find anything. Shop assistant picks me up with the car to drive me back and it's spewing coolant from the resevoir all over the place and, lo and behold, overheating. We get back to the shop and service dude plays " duh".

So, the following day at the shop, they tell me that there is an oily substance in the coolant but not engine oil. It looks to be transmission oil but the transmission dipstick shows fresh ATF as it is a rebuilt done within this year. Their pressure test that day read increased pressure especially when shifting into gear at higher rpm. So, I am going ahead with a rad change suggesting that it is Transmission cooler. However, his thoughts about this are hypothetical and may not solve the overheating problem. For the record, they checked the thermostat, cap, and checked for leaks both external and internal combustion chamber. Pump is good, no block, and heat is running through the core, fan works fine. The oil itself was a light muddy brown with no indication of deposits.

So far, these guys are shaking their heads trying to figure this one out and me, I keep asking them have you tested this, this, and this -- yes, I have worked on cars for a long time, but don't have the space to do these messier tests myself. Also, I feel like I am doing their job. I have some thoughts: 1.) Is it possible that the fuse link for the AC/radiator is at fault, it is not checked, yet and or 2.) The catalytic converter, because it has been running sluggish like I can't accelerate properly. Can these be directly related to overheating but indirectly related to the cooling system?

Thanks, your thoughts on this issue are appreciated.

So, if they fail on this rad exchange test, I have decided to pull the car out of there. In the meantime, any thoughts on what I should look for
NimbleNeonNOT