IGNITION KEY STUCK?

1993 Chrysler Le Baron

Steering problem
1993 Chrysler Le Baron 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 70000 miles

I just bought a 93 LeBaron in excellent condition but the key won't come out of the ignition slot. The car starts up and shuts off fine, but the key just won't go one more click over so I can pull the key out of the ignition. The previous owner stated that sometimes he had to shift ot in & out of park several times. Then " jiggle" the key to get it out. Sometimes it came out right away. Other times he had to " jiggle it quite awhile.

The floor shifter plate that has the P, R, N, D, 2, 1 has some broken tabs on it & lifts up when I take the car out of park. By holding down on it I'm able to shift the car in D without any problems. Could it be that the car doesn't know it's in park. Thereby not releasing the key from the ignition? Would this be a simple job of going to a junk yard and buying another shift plate cover?

HELP !
Tjiowa

Suspect a stretched or out of adjustment shifter cable. The cable is not pulling the tranny completely into park when you slide the shifter into P, therefore the Park/Neutral Safety Switch is not letting the ignition be shut completely off. You will need to inspect the shifter cable to see if it needs replaced or if it is just out of adjustment.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!

Bluelightnin6