PROBLEM WITH ELECTRICAL

1993 Chrysler Imperial

1993 Chrysler Imperial 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

93 Chrysler Imperial, 130,000 miles. I got in my car and started it. The climate control panel will not come on. The rear defogger button doesn't work, and the power windows. The radio has always come on and off at random since I've bought it. My first thought was fuses, but I checked all the appropriate fuses and all seem fine. I could not find fuses for the power windows, but I checked all the rest of them. I checked under the hood and none of the fuses apply to this situation. Beyond that, I don't know what else to do but check for a bad ground or something. Could it be something I'm missing or should I begin tearing down the dash?
Ozzmier

Have the body control module (BCM) tested. You could even try disconnecting the battery for about ten munutes to see if it will reset.

Although not common on this model, look at the wiring between the door hinges for a broken wire affecting courtesy lights, power windows, locks, and mirrors.

A more common cause of problems in these systems is burned or high resistance contacts in the ignition switch. Not a difficult repair.

As for the radio, if you have a factory AM / FM / cassette player, these develop intermittent connections causing it to go dead. Eventually, it will go out completely. There are two " reset" transistors that only function when the radio is first plugged in or the battery is reconnected. These transistors can only handle a few fractions of an amp of current, but are required to pass much more than that when initially powered up. This surge happens so quickly that the transistors are not overheated or damaged. The intermittent connections result in many of these surges occurring continuously until the transistors pop from the heat.

This is not an expensive repair, and the replacement transistors can handle a much higher current without overheating.

Caradiodoc@verizon. Net