RADIO PRODUCES ONLY STATIC FROM SPEA

2001 Chrysler Concorde

2001 Chrysler Concorde 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

The radio/cd/tape player unit in my 2001 Chrysler Concorde LXi turns on, lights up, and all the functions work (ie: clock, channel changer, cd player etc) however, the speakers only produce a static type noise, vs. Any music sound. Any thoughts as to this. Its obviously being powered. This occurred immediatley after the car was jump started due to a dead battery, due to a frayed negative battery cable. I replaced the negative cable, charged the battery and the car starts and runs fine. I think the jump start may have caused damage in the radio unit itself. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Mjvanek

Do you mean loud static or a faint hiss? Some models will have no audio when the memory fuse is blown. If it is, the clock will reset to 12: 00 and the stations will go back to the factory presets every time you turn off the ignition. If this is the case, look for what else doesn't work. The memory circuit is always tied to a system that's always hot such as the horn, dome lights, or cigarette lighter.

These radios have very little trouble with the audio circuits. If you don't find a blown fuse, pull the radio out to read me the model number. There are a bunch of Chrysler-built cassette radios and cd radios that have a 100 percent failure rate. They often fail after a jump start, but that is just hurrying up the inevitable. The cd / cassette combos are built by Mitsubishi and are very high quality and don't have this problem.

Here's an update to the radio/cd problem. I troubleshot the problem down to the Audio power amplifier. I believe the amp failed due to a power surge/spike when the car was jump started. The chrysler stock part number for the amp was P04760296AC. This amp is a 120w amp. It is located underneath the front passenger seat right kick panel just below an to the right of the glove compartment. Chrysler no longer stocks it so you have to get one from a salvage yard. I found one from a local salvage company for about $125.00. It was very easy to remove and replace and the system works great again.

Mjvanek
Interesting. I have to assume they changed something since I left the dealership in '99. That's where the body computer used to live. The amps were always in the trunk on the left side. I got two from Pull-A-Part yards this past winter at less than 20 bucks each.