BLUE SMOKE

1999 Chrysler Concorde

1999 Chrysler Concorde 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 106000 miles

Hi,

I have a Chrysler Concorde 1999, 2.4 L engine, auto transmission and sometimes I see blue smoke coming out of my tailpipe when I push the gas pedal then as I speed up it disappear! It happens usually when I push the gas pedal totally. What is wrong and how much would it cost to fix it?

Thank you!
-Kyle-
Cook2005

Hi Kyle,

Sounds like the Valve Stem Seals. All it is is oil getting into the combustion chamber and being burned. And as long as it is not to bad I would be to concerned. If it is of concern to you the repair cost could reach $1,500 or more. And that would depend on whether the garage pulls the heads off to do it or not. If they don't pull the heads it could be as low as $500.

.

Obxautomedic
Hey,

Thanks for the reply. May I ask some questions about this problem?
1, How much would it cost approximately to fix the bad valve part? Is it 1500$? OMG!
2, How much would it cost around to fix the piston rings?
3, How much would it cost to get the engine rebuilt? Or maybe I should get a new engine?
4, Is there anything that I could do to slow down the deterioration of my engine? For instance change oil and use STP oil treatment, or drive carefully not to use intensively the car or maybe oil flush?
THANKS!

Cook2005
Thank you again for your fast answers. I will bring my car to another auto care center to test my engine and identify what the problem is. So I don't know maybe it is valve problem maybe piston rings or I was told it can be something else. I will ask them about the air pressure option I hope they can do it and it's gonna be cheaper. I do not trust on one or two mechanic's opinion! They always try to get my money as far as I experienced! I live in TX but they are the same everywhere.

One more thing could you estimate how much time or how many miles could I have left before my engine would die? I have 1999 Chrysler with 106500 miles. I know it is hard to estimate without knowing the current status of the engine but I would like to know what is the worst case and best case scenario since if it last like 5000 or 10000 miles or 1 and a half year more than I would just use STP additive and extra care. I do not know is it worth repairing it or not.

Thank you very much for your help!

Cook2005
Here is what you do. When you take the vehicle in just have them check out the engine and ask them about the blue smoke and see what they say. Then if they say you need vavle seals replaced get a price then ask them about the how they will do the work.

Depending on what they say the condition of the motor is it could last you another 100k or more. There are a lot vehicle on the road that have over 250k miles on them.

Hope this helps.

.

Obxautomedic
Hi,

Thanks again for your help. You helped me a lot. I am not a mechanic so let me tell you what I will do: I will get an appointment in a car care center and let them check the engine with their fancy computers and ask them about the blue smoke and the possible repair including the method and price. Then I ask them about the pressure the cylinder method maybe it would be cheaper and they could do it. Then having the information go to another service place and ask them about the same stuff. And after it call some other repair places and ask them what they could do. So that I will get full information about the prospects of my car and possible repair options.

If the condition is not sewer I think I will not get it repaired. I'm a student at university so I don't have 2500$ to do the engine work. Either way I'm gonna get checked my car and I need to change oil and oil filter so I ask them to get STP oil treatment into my engine and a engine flush too. I hope they will do it not just say it and ask the money for it. I have had very bad experience with mechanics.

I'll keep you informed. In the next couple of weeks I will bring my car to get checked.

THANK YOU!

Cook2005
Hi there,

Sorry for my quite late reply. So I got checked my engine for blue smoke and they did compression test. I was told from my 6 cylinders one has week compression thus worn piston rings can be the problem. I got BG engine clean because it is possible that some carbon or other contamination prevents the rings to do what it needs to do. So I got oil change. I was gonna ask synthetic oil because that does not burn as conventional oil (no blue smoke) but I was told it would be better to use conventional oil with BG additive (BG RF 7) that helps seal rings to increase compression and reduce blow-by. BG RF-7 contains additives which keep the engine oil from oxidizing or thickening, and it protects internal parts from corrosive damage. It will help reduce oil consumption and exhaust smoke and will reduce lifter and valve noise. BG RF-7 is compatible with both synthetic and petroleum-base oils.

It is better now and I hardly saw smoke but today I saw the smoke again. Maybe because it was hot day I don't know. SO I guess I still have the problem.

Do you think synthetic or synthetic blend oil would reduce the smoke?

Bad piston rings mean less horse power too? The car runs good and then engine is fine I am just curious.

And the most important question is can bad piston rings cause engine failure so can I brake down because of this smoke blow by problem?

Thanks!

Cook2005
Yes, bad rings can reduce power.

Do you think you can do a test on the cylinders?

If so you will need a Compression tester.

Then remove one plug and install the tester disconnect coil power then turn engine over for about 5 seconds write down reading and cylinder number. Then remove tester and with an oil squirt can squirt some oil into the cylinder and repeat test and write down reading. Do this for each cylinder and post.

What you will be doing is call a dry and wet test. This will tell if you have bad rings or not. If reading remain the same then rings are good. If reading are higher when oil is put into the cylinder then rings are bad.

.

Obxautomedic
Hi,

So I got the engine tested. It had wet compression test. I did not do it because I have neither tools or garage to do it.

So I got V6 2.7L Engine with 107000 miles.

Drive side
1: 135
2: 135-140
3: 85

Passenger side
1: 150
2: 150
3: 102

I was told that on the driver side I got low values thus it is bad piston rings or valve seals problem. This is why I got BG RF-7 additive to maintain oil pressure and reduce oil consumption.

In terms of power the engine runs well and I feel it is powerful enough.

I would like to ask two important questions: -I know there is no magic potion that could fix this problem because the engine should be replaced to fix this but do you think the amount of smoke could be reduced if I used synthetic blend oil that is mixture of conventional and synthetic? To have synthetic oil change every 3 month/3000 miles it is quite expensive not to mention I would use more oil due to this problem but perhaps blend would at least hide the problem/smoke.

-My other question is the most important. Can I brake down due to this piston rings related problem?

Thank you!

Cook2005
Ok, the smoke problem won't be cured no matter what you do concerning the Oil. A heavier oil may reduce the smoke but it will still be noticable.

As far as leaving you stranded, yes it can. If it is the rings they will continue to deterierate and possibly break at some point. Could be a week or a month may be longer, it will depend on how fast they break down.

.

Obxautomedic
Thank you I see.
SO the bottom line is it's a time bomb. I asked this brake down possibility because I also asked my mechanic and he said because that problem my car would not brake down on the road. So now I have two opposite opinions. I think I will ask other people too.

-If the engine can fail due to worn piston rings Is there a sign that shows is it close to total piston rings brake? More smoke strange noise, knocking? Now it runs well and doesn't have bad noise.

If it has at least 10 000 miles in it than I would not worry too much. I would make it painted in Maaco for 1200$ (I got a quote from them, 'supreme' paint with 4 year warranty) and I would use it for 1.5 year more.

-Can I decrease the rings deterioration somehow? Additives, slow driving or not accelerate fast?

Sorry for my lot of questions but for me it is essential to know what my possibilities are.
Thanks!

Cook2005