VOLTAGE REGULATOR

1983 Chrysler 5th Avenue

1983 Chrysler 5th Avenue V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 87000 miles

i have been having problems with my 5th ave. Draining the battery. I have replaced the alternator twice, but this doesn't seem to be the problem. The motor won't turn over, but makes a clicking sound. I can jump the car quickly, so I don't think its the starter. Could it be the voltage regulator, and is it an easy install job, as I am a limited skilled mechanic. And does anybody have a scamatic of where the voltage regulator is at. Thanks
Reinmann

Try removing the cigar lighter and then if that doesn't work try taking the fuse for the dome lamp if it is different. Has the battery been properly load tested. As I remember the voltage regulator was mounted to the firewall the flat area behind the engine, it had a triangular connector with two wires going to it. After that the engine computer had field control and regulated the voltage. Whilr the engine is running the battery should read 14 volts(near it) and your voltage guage should be just to the right of center but the battery must test ok to operate the alternator. Ok friend. The two voltage regulator wires were red and I think light green, and if they are the red should hace 12 volts key on and the green goes to field ground through reg. That is if its not computer controlled, and I don't think it was. Don't try to test it if you haven't yet just replace, if batt ckecks ok.

Ch112063