WON'T GO INTO GEAR

2006 Chrysler 300

2006 Chrysler 300 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 70000 miles

I can start my crysler 300 but it won't shift into gear.
Rockoandjody

Check transmission fluid for proper level while hot and idling in park. Will the car roll in neutral?

Airsoftsoldrecn9
I can't even move the shift lever out of park, but the engine does start

Rockoandjody
If you can remove the shifter lever underneath car and actuate the transmission by hand then there might be a problem in the column. If you can not move it then the transmission has locked up past the torque converter. How did it run before you had this problem?

Airsoftsoldrecn9
I just had the same problem today, I took my car to the dealership and they told me I need a new transmission because an internal pump went bad. They informed me that it had been running low on transmission fluid but only the dealership can check the transmission fluid. My car had been to the dealership 5 times since July and it is evident that they never checked. The transmission modular was replaced and then it gave the code that the transmission would not prim. Normally a pump can be replaced but the pump for the 300 is not sold separately therefore the entire transmission has to be replaced. I don't understand this for a car that is only 2 years old and has been serviced properly. Not to mention the $700 I already put into it for a tuneup that was not due until 96K miles.

Scorpionmanager
chances are plastic pink park lockout is broken in the shifter area. The dealership is going to charge you over $100 to fix it. You can get a DIY fix here:

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/mitchell1eautorepair-car-repair-manuals

Heidivpi@fdn.com
Under the shiftier cover ( the chrome and black plastic piece surrounding the shiftier lever) once you remove this you have to unscrew your gear shift handle and then unsnap the selector piece (R, N, D ) and once removed you will see a PINK plastic piece on the upper right side just under the shift assembly, This is a very weak plastic piece that is supposed to be connected to a small spring hooked to the front of the housing. The hook breaks off and the spring falls off. They don't just sell this part and the whole shiftier is about $600. So I found a fix that has worked now for months and is still working. First your going to have to remove the whole shiftier assembly (sounds hard but simple) It has 4 bolts one on each corner they are 10 mm remove them and release the two cables on the front, then unplug any wire connections. Once done you will need to remove the ash tray by simply pulling it gently from the dash and then pull the radio bezel off and just push these two parts up, no need to unplug them. Then gently lift the shiftier assembly out and remove the top cover. ( Just pop it off the plastic holds and it slides off) once removed you will see the Pink plastic piece and look for the spring. Take the Pink plastic piece and you will see a really small broken spot on the front where the hook was, remove the Pink piece and use a 1/32 drill bit and drill all the way through it. Then take a small piece of strong wire and feed it through the hole folding it towards the front, place the spring there and twist the wire to secure the spring. This will replace the broken hook. Then just reverse the disassemble process and place it back in car and your on your way.

Ozfx