CHEVY ANTIFREEZE LEAK

2001 Chevrolet Venture

Engine Cooling problem
2001 Chevy Venture 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 165053 miles

We have been having troubles with a leak in our engine for a few weeks now. My husband drove the vehicle to his job which is about 45 minutes one way and when he got there the engine was steaming and the resivour was empty. We put antifreeze in the vehicle and then drove it home. We had the water pump replaced and we are still losing antifreeze from somewhere. I have been told it could be a few things. One the head gasket (which we have ruled out) two something called a freeze plug, three the resivour could be leaking or a hose. The leak don't happen all the time but it is towards the back of the engine and is not steady. When we drive for long distances the engine is smoking from the leak hitting the hot parts of the engine. I just want to get someone elses opinion to what it could be. It does not over heat just leaks antifreeze.
Rose1205