CHEVY TIMING

1981 Chevrolet Van

1981 Chevy Van V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a 1981 Chevy van with a 305 motor-Vin# H & G
I put new chain and gears in a long with a new distributor
I set the dots-cam dot at bottom-crack at the top
I dropped the distributor in-making sure the rotor was pointing to # 6 on the cap
I put it all together tried to start it-It back fired through the exhaust
I did the same thing again as above-but this time-I turned it over till the crack was on compression
I dropped the distributor in on # 6-it back fired through the carb
I reversed the distributor 180 degrees-then I tried to start it-it started after moving the distributor back and forth
So I shut it off-two hours later I tried to start it-Nothing
Once again I pulled it all apart-Reset the gears-then I turned it over till the cam gear was on compression-(so I thought)
I dropped the distributor in-making sure the rotor was pointing to the 12 O-clock high-I tried to start it-Nothing
I repeated all the above several times-as well as dropping in the distributor & pointing the rotor to different points on the cap-
still it will not start-At this point in time-it is on compression-But I do not no where to drop the distributor in-where to
point the rotor-or where the cam gear should be set at.
I guess I could take off the exhaust manifold and watch the valve open as I turn it over-then when it's open
drop the distributor in with the rotor pointing to 12 o-clock-then bring # 1 piston up on compression & try to start it.
Any idea what else I can try.
Beer

Put the engine no.1 piston on its compression/TDC align sprockets as you see below and crankpulley at 0/TDC and timing scale to verify you're on compression stroke/TDC-remove the valve cover for no.1 cylinder and check the valves they should be both closed

Now install the distributor making sure the rotor is pointing to the no.1 cap tower and then bolted down and then time the ignition

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_timing_38.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_timing1_1.gif

Good Luck